Image: NVIDIA

As many of you are aware, no two graphics cards perform identically due to differences in silicon quality. NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 3080 GPUs aren’t excluded from these annoying variances, but thanks to a new report from Igor Wallossek, we have a pretty good idea of how their binning is going and whether green team’s decision to go with Samsung’s 8 nm process was wise or not.

According to Igor’s sources, you have a 60 percent chance of getting a “good” GeForce RTX 3080 and 30 percent chance of getting an acceptable one in the early months. The rest of these cards, which are the cream of the crop, will obviously be the most difficult to obtain at 10 percent.

“The sources speak almost unanimously of an average of up to 30% of chips with Bin 0 [“ok”], approx. 60% with Bin 1 [“good”] and only 10% with Bin 2 [“very good”] for the RTX 3080, which is still quite good for such a short production period and actually speaks for Samsung,” Wallossek reported. “By the way, most of the custom models intended for press sampling are of course the top dogs of the respective manufacturers and thus Bin 2. You should have this in mind, because NVIDIA’s Founders Edition is no longer a ‘cheap’ reference card, but rather a highly sophisticated product.”

Wallossek also suggested that highly binned versions of the GeForce RTX 3090 would be even harder to get, but the theory is hazy because board partners have received limited stock. There’s nothing said about the GeForce RTX 3070 models.

If you manage to get your hands on a highly binned GeForce RTX 30 Series GPU, consider yourself lucky. These quality cards typically allow for higher clocks and lower temperatures at similar voltages.

Don’t Miss Out on More FPS Review Content!

Our weekly newsletter includes a recap of our reviews and a run down of the most popular tech news that we published.

Join the Conversation

12 Comments

  1. How are the measuring a “good” versus “acceptable” card? Are we talking about overclocking potential here or ASIC? Because if it’s the latter it makes no difference. There is no such thing as a “good” or “bad” ASIC, just a subjective measure of how much volt leakage there is.

  2. I’m not too familiar with binning rates and whatnot. Didn’t notice a comparison, but is it comparable to previous launch binning rates?

  3. [QUOTE=”SeymourGore, post: 17776, member: 158″]
    I’m not too familiar with binning rates and whatnot. Didn’t notice a comparison, but is it comparable to previous launch binning rates?
    [/QUOTE]
    I don’t know of any place that tracks it for video cards.

  4. [QUOTE=”Paul_Johnson, post: 17781, member: 2″]
    So, 40% chance of getting a turd?
    [/QUOTE]
    From the article:
    30% – ok
    60% – good
    10% – very good

  5. yeah, 30% don’t expect to overclock or it runs hot but within spec, 60% might be decent overclockers, and 10% will be beast mode.

  6. [QUOTE=”Paul_Johnson, post: 17781, member: 2″]
    So, 40% chance of getting a turd?
    [/QUOTE]
    I expect it to be dependent on how much you want to pay (for an AIB card).
    Clocked cards should be higher binned.
    Not so for the FE though, but they might be higher binned anyway? Thats the question I have.

  7. [QUOTE=”AntiQuark, post: 17811, member: 83″]
    I expect it to be dependent on how much you want to pay (for an AIB card).
    Clocked cards should be higher binned.
    Not so for the FE though, but they might be higher binned anyway? Thats the question I have.
    [/QUOTE]
    EVGA did this with the K|NGP|N 1080 Ti. If I remember correctly they did it based on ASIC % and it was more than double the cost for a 97% card or higher. I have to wonder if EVGA actually got any biters when they ran this program because they haven’t done it since.

  8. This is completely meaningless. How do you define good / bad?

    Nothing is “good” today. I mean the era when we could get 50-80% overclock that was good. the 10% overlclocks of today? For that binning is a waste of time.

  9. ” 60 percent chance of getting a “good” GeForce RTX 3080 and 30 percent chance of getting an acceptable one ”

    I think most people will be happy if it doesn’t come pre-bundled with Space Invaders this time. 😉

Leave a comment