The rumor mill recently claimed that NVIDIA had abandoned the idea of a standard GeForce RTX 3080 model with 10 GB of additional memory, but new filings spotted at the official EEC site provide hope that it could still be coming.
As discovered by KOMACHI_ENSAKA, MSI has submitted multiple GeForce RTX 3080 models with a 20 GB memory configuration in the VENTUS, SUPRIM, SEA HAWK, GAMING, and AERO series. There are ten models in total, which we’ve copied below.
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 (20 GB) Models:
- GeForce RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X 20G OC
- GeForce RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X 20G
- GeForce RTX 3080 SUPRIM Z 20G
- GeForce RTX 3080 SUPRIM X 20G
- GeForce RTX 3080 SUPRIM 20G
- GeForce RTX 3080 SEA HAWK X 20G
- GeForce RTX 3080 SEA HAWK 20G
- GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO 20G
- GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING TRIO 20G
- GeForce RTX 3080 AERO 20G
This isn’t necessarily proof that NVIDIA has reactivated its plans for a standard GeForce RTX 3080 with 20 GB of memory, but the listings do come straight from one of the most popular graphics card manufacturers, which probably knows a bit more than most.
It’s also a positive sign for prospective Ampere owners who are seeking more than 10 GB of VRAM but don’t want to shell out for the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, which is sure to be very expensive (rumors suggest that it’s quite similar to NVIDIA’s BFGPU, the $1,499 GeForce RTX 3090).
The filings also include numerous GeForce RTX 3060 Ti models (e.g., GeForce RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 3X), which could be unveiled as early as next week.