NVIDIA has released its first Game Ready Driver of 2021. Version 461.09 is relatively low-key compared to the company’s other driver releases, which traditionally come with day-one support for new games, but the latest update does fix numerous issues that affect older GeForce graphics cards. These include the GeForce GTX 750 Ti and GeForce RTX 1080 Ti, the latter of which suffered from potential system freezes and/or flickering on the desktop. NVIDIA’s Game Ready Driver 461.09 also addresses incorrect black levels on LG OLED TVs when HDR is enabled.
Changes and Fixed Issues in Version 461.09
Fixed Issues in this Release
- [GeForce Experience]: The FPS counter is activated and the overlay appears on Windows Mail and Calendar applications.
- [GeForce GTX 750 Ti]: Blue-screen crash (UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP) may occur.
- [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti]: The desktop screen may flicker. 
- [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti]: The system may freeze with the screen displaying as solid color. 
- [HDR]: With HDR enabled, black levels are incorrect, notably on LG OLED TVs. [200682795/3201305]
- [Notebook][Lenovo Y740]: The notebook displays corruption after waking from sleep. 
- Blue-screen crash (0x116) may occur upon resuming from sleep mode when three 4k monitors are connected. [3054239/3195884]
Open Issues in Version 461.09 WHQL
Windows 10 Issues
- [X4: Foundations][Vulkan]: The game may crash on GeForce RTX 30 series GPUs. 
- [X4: Foundations][Vulkan]: HUD in the game is broken. 
- [Batman Arkham Knight]: The game crashes when turbulence smoke is enabled. 
- [Detroit: Become Human]: The game randomly crashes. 
- [Steam VR game]: Stuttering and lagging occur upon launching a game. 
- [G-SYNC][NVIDIA Ampere/Turing GPU architecture]: GPU power consumption may increase in idle mode on systems using certain higher refresh-rate G-SYNC monitors. 
- [YouTube]: Video playback stutters while scrolling down the YouTube page. 
- [Notebook]: Some Pascal-based notebooks w/ high refresh rate displays may randomly drop to 60Hz during gameplay. 
- [G-Sync][Vulkan Apps]: Performance drop occurs when using G-SYNC and switching from full-screen mode to windowed mode using the in-game settings.  To workaround, either launch the game in windowed mode directly or disable G-SYNC.
- [GeForce RTX 3070][Clone Mode]: When the resolution is set to 2560×1440 @ 144Hz, the performance state is stuck at maximum performance. 
- [NVIDIA Turing or later][Windows Movies and TV Player]: When playing a 4k video in fullscreen mode on a 2560×1440 HDR monitor, the video extends beyond the edge of the screen. 
NVIDIA’s latest Game Ready Driver can be downloaded from its driver page or through the company’s companion application, GeForce Experience. The release notes for version 461.09 can be accessed here.