Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass version of Nier: Automata stirred quite a bit of controversy among Steam users when it was released because of how much better it was than the version hosted on Valve’s beloved storefront. The Steam version of Nier: Automata has now reached parity with Microsoft’s release thanks to a new patch that rolled out today, which adds a variety of new features, options, and fixes that elevate the game for Steam users significantly. These include the addition of borderless video settings, support for HDR and AMD FidelityFX Contrast Adaptive Sharpening (CAS), anti-aliasing adjustments, 4K UI textures, and global illumination. Nier: Automata should also run better on Steam thanks to stability-related fixes introduced by the new patch.
- Borderless Video Settings
- Borderless video settings have been implemented.
- Fidelity FX
- A Fidelity FX CAS feature has been added.
- The system will now detect whether HDR has been activated in the Windows display settings, and automatically boot the game in HDR mode if it has.
- Adjustments to the anti-aliasing functionality
- UI textures (4K)
- Approximately 270 UI textures for icons, backdrops and UI elements etc. now support 4K resolutions.
- Cut scenes
- The bit rate has been improved and all pre-rendered cut scenes adjusted, so they will now play in 60FPS and display in the correct aspect ratio without stretching the picture.
- Global illumination
- A new “Global illumination” feature has been implemented. This can be set to three different levels; High, Medium or Low.
- Ambient occlusion/ bloom
- The rendering targets for ambient occlusion and bloom effects have been changed to dynamic resolution based on the game’s resolution.
- It is now possible to switch between recently selected display modes for screenshots, such as between full screen and windowed mode or between borderless and windowed mode, by pushing the Alt + Enter keys together.
- The mouse cursor is no longer displayed when using a game pad controller.
- The frame rate has been stabilized at 60FPS under default settings.
- Other stability related fixes have also been implemented.
NieR: Automata tells the story of androids 2B, 9S and A2 and their battle to reclaim the machine-driven dystopia overrun by powerful machines. Humanity has been driven from the Earth by mechanical beings from another world. In a final effort to take back the planet, the human resistance sends a force of android soldiers to destroy the invaders. Now, a war between machines and androids rages on… A war that could soon unveil a long-forgotten truth of the world.