Following a background teaser shared last Friday, Volition has officially confirmed a new installment of its GTA-inspired franchise, Saints Row. The latest title is being described as an “absolute reboot” that will trace the origins of the Saints, the fictional street gang that the series is named after.
Volition hasn’t shared any gameplay footage of Saints Row yet, but it did release a CG announcement trailer teasing the game’s atmosphere and the kind of wacky adventures that the Saints will be getting themselves into in the vibrant, fictional city of Santo Ileso. There are also a couple of screenshots that provide a good idea of what the final game might look like.
Here’s a lengthy list of what Saints Row fans can expect from the new reboot, as published by Volition:
- Witness the Birth of The Saints – Play through an action blockbuster original story full of criminality, extraordinary scenes and signature surprises laced with humor.
- Discover the Weird, Wild, West – Dive in to Santo Ileso, the biggest and best Saints Row playground ever, spread across nine unique districts surrounded by the vast, majestic beauty of the Southwest Desert.
- Build Your Criminal Empire – Take over the city block by block, wage war against enemy factions and tighten your grip on the streets with ingenious criminal ventures.
- Fire Guns. LOTS of Guns – Shoot revolvers from the hip, fire and forget with a rocket launcher, or obliterate up close using melee heavyweights, complete with brutal takedowns. A vast variety of familiar and exotic weapons, all customizable, and all deadly fun.
- Take to the Streets and the Skies – Blast through urban and desert environments in any one of the cars, bikes, planes, helicopters, VTOLs, hoverbikes, hoverboards, go-karts or equip your wingsuit to swoop around.
- Unprecedented Customization – Create the Boss of your dreams, with the most extensive character customization suite ever seen in the series, then complete the look with incredible options for weapons and vehicles.
- Seamless Co-Op – Experience everything on offer with a friend at any time, via fully untethered drop-in / drop-out co-op, skipping the need to take either of you out of the outlandish action; play nice together, or play all new pranks on your team mate. After all, who’s the Boss now?
Saints Row will be available for Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and PC on February 25, 2022. Unfortunately, the only platform that’s been listed for the PC version is the Epic Games Store. That means it’s a timed exclusive that probably won’t hit Steam until 2023.
You play as whoever you want in your journey from Newbie to Boss, kicking ass and fighting… well not crime obviously. We’ll talk more about our most extensive character creator ever in time, but it wouldn’t be a Saints Row game if you couldn’t roleplay in a range of roles from bank manager to green-skinned zombie alien monster, would it?
Source: Saints Row