Fractal launched a new high-performance PC case called the Torrent last week, but unfortunately, its debut has been marred by an issue related to its Nexus 9P Slim PWM fan hubs. Some of these have reportedly been damaged in manufacturing, opening up the possibility of a nasty short circuit. The issue is so serious that Fractal has been prompted to re-evaluate the entire circuit board design.
Luckily, Fractal has admitted to the problem and is offering free replacement kits to owners of its new Torrent cases. All users have to do is fill out the request form for the replacement kit (found here), and one will be sent as soon as possible.
In the meantime, Fractal is urging Torrent owners to unplug the fan hub from their cases. The fan hub is located near the bottom-front of the case; it can be removed simply by unscrewing the three screws in front of it. The complete instructions can be found here.
Fractal has temporarily stopped sales of the Torrent until its development team is able to provide an updated and safer fan hub. Available in various combinations of white and black, the Torrent features an open grille, newly developed 180 x 38 mm Dynamic X2 PWM or Prisma AL PWM ARGB fans, and a new layout enabling exceptional GPU cooling.
Fractal Torrent Key features:
- Open grille and 180 mm front fans optimized for maximum air intake
- Newly developed 180 x 38 mm Dynamic X2 PWM or Prisma AL PWM ARGB fans (in the RGB version) leverage power, size, and thickness for massive air-moving capacity
- Includes five PWM fans (three 140 mm and two 180 mm) for balancing performance, cooling and noise
- New layout with expansive base intakes and extra-large bottom fan support offers exceptional GPU cooling
- Optional front and bottom nylon filters included, allowing the user to prioritize between dust filtering or even higher airflow
- Streamlined open interior provides plenty of breathing room for components and maximizes performance potential for both air and water cooling
- Comes with the new Nexus 9P Slim PWM fan hub pre-installed
- Fans and LED lights fully controllable through motherboards supporting addressable RGB (3-pin 5V header)
- GPU support bracket that helps your GPU stay level (user assembled, instructions included)
- Comes with external cable straps for tidying up behind your computer
Built to maximize cooling potential straight out of the box, the Torrent comes with a brand-new component layout and two custom-made 180 x 38 mm Dynamic PWM / Prisma RGB fans. The Torrent is a perfect fit for anyone serious about high-end cooling – with or without a custom water loop.