Square Enix has announced the release window for Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier, a battle royale prequel that takes place 30 years before the events of the original, classic 1997 RPG. The game will be released as a free download with in-app purchases for iOS and Android devices in November 2021, according to producer Tetsuya Nomura, who spoke during a livestream special during the Tokyo Game Show today. Pre-registration for Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier will begin later this month.
A description of the game from Square Enix:
In FINAL FANTASY VII THE FIRST SOLDIER, players will embark on an intense battle royale experience where they must fight to be the last SOLDIER standing. To do so, players will use magic and special abilities along with ranged and melee weapons to triumph on the battlefield. Players can choose between various styles, such as Warrior, Sorcerer or Monk, each of whom boast unique special abilities. In addition to other SOLDIER candidates, players must also contend with ferocious monsters who inhabit the outskirts of the city. By defeating them, players can gain experience needed to level up and unlock new weapons. Classic FINAL FANTASY elements abound in the game, such as rideable chocobos, powerful espers, including Ifrit, to summon and materia, which enables players to cast devastating spells. Players can customize their characters’ outfits and accessories, obtain various weapon and vehicle skins, emotes and more to create their own unique SOLDIER.
An overview of the game’s key features via Google Play:
- Wield an Arsenal of Weapons and Magic – Utilize a wide variety of guns, melee weapons, and classic materia from Final Fantasy VII to overcome the competition! Find the combination that fits to your play style to gain the advantage over your opponents!
- Master Class-Based Traits and Abilities – Choose from styles such as the Warrior, Sorcerer, or Monk, and master their unique traits and abilities. Unlock abilities and skills within each style and customize your own experience!
- Take Down Ferocious Monsters – Defeat legendary Final Fantasy VII monsters to earn experience points and gil! Level up your chosen style in battle to unlock famous original Final Fantasy VII weapons and annihilate your enemies!
- Experience a Unique Final Fantasy Battle Royale – Ride through battle on a chocobo, rain punishment on your enemies with classic Final Fantasy summons like Ifrit, and use materia to harness powerful spells!
- Customize Outfits, Emotes, Skins, and More – You can obtain a variety outfits to change your look. Is Shinra more your style, or Avalanche? With a range of accessories, weapon and vehicle skins, emotes, and more, the customization options are endless!