Disney has decided to delay practically all of Marvel Studios’ upcoming blockbusters. They include the Doctor Strange sequel, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, which is now slated for May 6, 2022, and the fourth Thor film, Thor: Love and Thunder, which has been rescheduled to July 8, 2022. The only Marvel film that hasn’t received a delay is Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, which retains its original release date of May 5, 2023.
This has nothing to do with a change in distribution strategy for these films, I’m informed. There’s no Disney+ theatrical day-and-date going on, nor are Disney execs immediately concerned about the future of the global marketplace. It’s all on account of a domino effect going on with production and filmmakers. Some titles are contending with finishing scenarios while others are in production.
Marvel Studios’ updated theatrical schedule:
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (May 6, 2022)
- Thor: Love and Thunder (July 8, 2022)
- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (November 11, 2022)
- The Marvels (February 17, 2023)
- Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania ( July 28, 2023)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (May 5, 2023)
Disney has also delayed Lucasfilm’s fifth installment of Indiana Jones. The untitled Indiana Jones sequel, which sees Harrison Ford returning to one of his most iconic roles, will now release on June 30, 2023.