Marvel fans who enjoyed this year’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings should expect a similar feel for the sequel.
That’s according to Deadline, which has learned that director Destin Daniel Cretton will be returning to helm the second installment for Marvel Studios as part of an exclusive multi-year deal with Disney. Cretton will also be developing a new Marvel series for the conglomerate’s increasingly attractive streaming service, Disney+.
[…] Disney has made it official that Cretton is returning to write and direct the previously rumored sequel to Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.
Under the big new overall deal, Cretton will develop TV projects for both Marvel Studios for Disney+ and Onyx Collective across all platforms, including Hulu. Maui-born Cretton will produce through a new production company he is launching with partner Asher Goldstein, named Family Owned. Together they will focus on building a slate of projects in film and TV that highlight the experiences of communities that have traditionally been overlooked by pop culture.
“Destin is a powerhouse storyteller with impeccable taste in material,” said Tara Duncan, President of Freeform & Onyx Collective. “As we continue to expand our roster, Destin’s unique voice will help usher in an exciting slate of content for our global audience.”
“Destin is an amazing collaborator who brought a unique perspective and skill to Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings,” said Kevin Feige, President of Marvel Studios. “We had a fantastic time working together on the film and he has so many intriguing ideas for stories to bring to life on Disney+, so we’re thrilled to expand our relationship with him and can’t wait to get started.”
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings has been available to stream on Disney+ since November 12. As noted in a separate Deadline report, the film managed to set a new record by earning $83.5 million over Labor Day weekend. Its worldwide earnings have exceeded $431 million thus far.