ViacomCBS and Paramount held its investors event yesterday, and it was a pretty eventful one that included news regarding some of the companies’ biggest franchises.
They include a new Star Trek film, which, according to an exclusive report from Deadline, will enter production this year and likely reunite many of the cast members from the modern reboots, including Chris Pine (James Kirk) and Zachary Quinto (Spock). J.J. Abrams has confirmed that the movie will be helmed by Matt Shakman, the director behind Disney and Marvel Studios’ WandaVision series.
Star Trek’s most recent silver-screen attempt was Star Trek Beyond, a film by Justin Lin (Fast Five) that saw the partial destruction of the Enterprise and the introduction of new allies such as Sofia Boutella’s Jaylah. The movie underperformed at the box office, managing only $343 million worldwide.
Paramount Has ‘Star Trek’ Film Poised For Late 2022 Production Start; Talks To Begin With Chris Pine (Deadline)
- Paramount has begun talks with Chris Pine to reprise as James T. Kirk, and the intention is to engage to bring back aboard Zachary Quinto as Spock, Zoe Saldana as Lieutenant Uhura, Karl Urban as Dr. Bones McCoy, John Cho as Sulu and Simon Pegg as Scotty.
- Shakman has been supervising a draft by Josh Friedman and Cameron Squires, based off a draft by Lindsey Beer and Geneva Robertson-Dworet.
- They are keeping the plotline under wraps, but this firms the flight plan after scripts were done by The Revenant‘s Mark L. Smith (for Quentin Tarantino) and Noah Hawley.
Paramount also revealed that it has partnered with Sega to develop not only a third Sonic the Hedgehog film, but also a new, original live-action series centered on the franchise’s fan-favorite echidna, Knuckles. Idris Elba, who voices the character in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, will return to lend his talents for the show.
‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ Universe Expands As Sega And Paramount Sign Off On Third Film And ‘Knuckles’ Spinoff Series At Paramount+ With Idris Elba Reprising Role (Deadline)
- Paramount and Sega have commenced development on a third feature film installment to the franchise, while Sega and Paramount+ are developing the first-ever original live-action Sonic series, to launch in 2023.
- It will feature the character Knuckles, with Idris Elba returning to voice the role after it debuts in the sequel movie that bows April 8.
- Sonic the Hedgehog broke multiple box office records, including becoming the domestic top-grossing video game adaptation of all time, when it hit theaters in 2022, earning almost $320 million in worldwide box office.
Lastly, actor and director John Krasinski confirmed during ViacomCBS and Paramount’s Investor Day that a third Quiet Place film is on the way. The movie is expected to release in 2025, one that will presumably clear up the fate of Cillian Murphy’s character, who sustained major injuries in the finale of the sequel.
‘A Quiet Place III’ Is Happening, Movie To Debut In 2025 (Deadline)
- This is separate from the next installment of A Quiet Place which Pig filmmaker Michael Sarnoski is writing and directing and said to be in the same universe, a spinoff.
- That pic hits theaters on Sept. 22, 2023 and is based on an original idea of Krasinksi’s though details are being kept secret.
- A Quiet Place Part II woke up movie theaters over the summer after being closed during the pandemic, making $279M WW with a 91% Rotten Tomatoes score.