Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is the last time that anyone will be able to see Johnny Depp as fan-favorite captain Jack Sparrow. That’s according to the 58-year-old actor, who told a cross-examiner during a court hearing last week about how he had no intention of working on a new Pirates film with Disney. Disney had already dropped the actor from the sixth installment of the franchise due to abuse allegations levied against him by ex-wife Amber Heard, but his latest statements confirm that he wouldn’t return even if he was given the chance and a truckload of money.
“The fact is, Mr. Depp, if Disney came to you with $300 million and a million alpacas, nothing on this earth would get you to go back and work with Disney on a Pirates of the Caribbean film? Correct?” cross-examiner Ben Rottenborn asked Depp. “That is true,” the actor replied.
Johnny Depp: Disney Wanted to Cut Ties on ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ ‘To Be Safe’ (Variety)
Johnny Depp acknowledged on Wednesday that Disney was already wary of working with him before ex-wife Amber Heard wrote an op-ed alluding to her abuse claims in December 2018, as his cross-examination got underway in a Virginia courtroom.
Depp has accused Heard of ruining his career by publishing the piece. He is suing her for $50 million, alleging that her claims were fabricated and that she is the one who beat him. Under questioning from his own lawyer, Depp said that Disney dropped him from the sixth installment of “Pirates of the Caribbean” days after the piece was published. The film has not been produced and is currently in “dangle mode,” he testified.
The fight between Johnny Depp and Amber Heard has been a wild ride that involved everything from drugs to burning corpses. One of the weirder things that Depp touched upon during his court testimony was “human fecal matter”; Depp claims that Heard pooped on his bed following an argument over how he was late to her 30th birthday party.