Offworld Industries has announced Starship Troopers: Extermination, a new co-op FPS for PC based on the universe that was originally introduced by Robert A. Heinlein’s 1959 novel and subsequently brought to life in Paul Verhoeven’s 1997 sci-fi action film starring Casper Van Dien.
Starship Troopers: Extermination supports up to a dozen players, according to the game’s newly launched Steam listing, which can confirm that it’s an Early Access game that is planned for release next year:
Starship Troopers: Extermination drops up to 12 players right into the fight against the Bug menace in this co-op first person shooter. Suit up and ship out to a far-off front as a Trooper in the Deep Space Vanguard, an elite Special Forces group within the Mobile Infantry. It’s up to squads like yours to battle against hundreds of bloodthirsty insectoid aliens and take back fallen colonies for the Federation. The only good Bug is a dead Bug!
No Trooper stands alone. As soon as the dropship hits dirt, your trusty Morita Assault Rifle and fellow Deep Space Vanguard Troopers are all that will keep you alive while exploring the hostile surface of the planet Valaka. Work together to complete objectives, acquire resources, build and defend a base, and then escape to the extraction point together.
Other features of Starship Troopers: Extermination include five different bug types, as well as three playable classes, including Assault and Defense classes:
- Cooperative Gameplay – 12 players can team up in squads of four to defend your base, complete objectives, gather resources, and try to kill every Bug in sight
- Three Playable Classes – Choose from Assault, Support, and Defense classes to best suit your playstyle and support the rest of your squad.
- Build Defenses – Construct walls, towers, ammo stations, and more using resources acquired from planetside refineries
- Class Progression System – Unlock new weapons, equipment, and perks for each class to become an elite warfighter of the Deep Space Vanguard
- 5 Unique Bug Types – At Early Access launch encounter Drone, Warrior, Gunner, Plasma Grenadier, and Tiger Elite enemy Bugs during planetside missions.
- Escalating Infestation Levels – Increasing Bug threat levels during missions bring bigger and more dangerous enemies to the fight
- Large-scale Battles – A massive map with five unique zones, and swarm-based combat with hundreds of enemy Bugs on screen delivers the sense of an overwhelming planetary war
- Ground War – Retake bases and refineries, destroy hives, and complete a variety of side objectives to wrest control of the map away from the Bug menace
- Ping system – Communication is key! The ‘Ping’ system gives players a quick and easy way to callout points of interest, objectives, incoming enemies, and more to teammates
Offworld Industries’ previous projects include Squad, a tactical FPS that provides authentic combat experiences through teamwork, constant communication, and realistic gameplay.
Squad features features 100-player battles, 9 factions, 22 maps, vehicle-based combined arms gameplay, and player-constructed bases.