A Canadian man’s five-month-old Hyundai Kona failed spectacularly on Friday when the electric vehicle caught fire and exploded inside his garage. Piero Cosentino said he would have been in the hospital if he had been standing in front of the door, as the explosion tore it off and sent it flying into the street.
Cosentino claims that the car wasn’t charging; it wasn’t even plugged in. Investigators believe the cause could be weather related.
Electric cars are powered by lithium batteries and some can overheat in extreme temperatures. Louise Desrosiers, with Montreal’s fire service, said that there didn’t seem to be any other factors inside the garage that could have caused the explosion.