Image: AMD

Patrick Schur has tweeted the purported specs for AMD’s flagship Radeon RX 6000 Series graphics card, which has been commonly referred to as the Radeon RX 6900 XT. According to the software engineer, the Navi 21 XT models will supposedly boast a 2.4 GHz game frequency (clock), 16 GB of GDDR6 memory, and a 255 W TGP.

That’s a very impressive gain in the game clock department, if true. AMD’s Radeon RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary GPU only has a 1,830 MHz game frequency, while the standard Radeon RX 5700 XT’s game frequency is limited to 1,755 MHz. A 645 to 570 MHz improvement? Sure, we’ll take it.

The Radeon RX 6000 Series flagship will also feature 16 GB of GDDR6 VRAM, which has been confirmed by previous leaks. While that memory configuration places it above NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 3080 (10 GB), green team is expected to counter with a 20 GB variant.

As for TGP, 255 W suggests a substantial bump over the previous generation’s 225/235 W total board power, but that remains considerably lower than the GeForce RTX 3080 and GeForce RTX 3090’s 300+ W power demands.

Schur pointed out that this is an AIB model, which means that the specifications for AMD’s reference card could be different.

There have also been rumors of a supercharged Radeon RX 6000 Series “XTX” model that AMD is prepping to counter to NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 3090. We’re guessing that this will be something akin to the Radeon RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary edition, which was sold in limited quantities. At the very least, it should give red team’s marketing department something extra to work with.

Recent Posts

Join the Conversation

16 Comments

  1. Going to be interesting to see how this stacks up against the 3080 series of cards.

    Looking forward to seeing reviews on these for sure.

  2. Now the real questions, is it the XT or XL model that they showed benchmarks for during the zen3 announcement? :). I’m anxiously awaiting some real reviews though, it’d be absolutely amazing to have some GPU competition again, and all indications are pointing to AMD either taking back the performance crown or at least owning 99% of it and tying Intel the other 1%. Intel will further push that benchmarks don’t matter and we need to use "more real benchmarks" and stop relying on games and scientific software and stuff like luxmark and blender :). Anyways, if it can indeed hit 2.4GHz that is a real accomplishment for a GPU!! Might need some good cooling to maintain that kind of boost though, but the indications are that it’s not even close to power draw as nvidia, so maybe nothing to exotic. Here’s to hoping and (im)patiently waiting for release and reviews!
  3. I… believe this in the same vein that I believed all the 5Ghz Zen stories.

    I’ll wait for the reviews.

  4. I’m just glad we’re getting closer to the reveal date. Feels like this is going to be a much more competitive GPU battle between Nvidia and AMD than what it’s been like the past few years.
  5. Says people without it……………….

    Intel:"It’s not the size of the cores .. but how you use them!"
    Nvidia:"It’s not the size of the clock .. but how you use them!"
    AMD:"It’s not the size of the bus .. but how you use them!"

  6. Intel:"It’s not the size of the cores .. but how you use them!"
    Nvidia:"It’s not the size of the clock .. but how you use them!"
    AMD:"It’s not the size of the bus .. but how you use them!"

    George Carlin: "**** you guys…..it’s how big my dick is!"

  7. that big of a clock increase….it’s going to be a decent card.

    AMD have typically attained higher clocks than NVIDIA, but it didn’t always translate into better performance. AMD’s main crutch is they’re still holding onto similar architecture paradigms that prevent the GPU from being used 100% efficiently.

Leave a comment