In a new post on PlayStation.Blog, Sony’s Phil Rosenberg (Head of Global Partner Development and Relations) revealed that PS5 owners would have access to several of the most popular streaming apps on day one. He also shared a new photo of the Media Remote, confirming that the peripheral will feature dedicated buttons for four select streaming services: Netflix, YouTube, Spotify, and Disney+.
This is actually disappointing. Previous images of the Media Remote showed four empty buttons, which suggested that the buttons might be programmable, but evidently, that isn’t the case. We’re guessing that Sony got a big, fat paycheck from each of those streaming giants for the exclusive placement.
While the chances of Netflix or YouTube going away any time soon are close to zero, it’ll be interesting to see how the Media Remote ages with things like Disney+, which is a relatively new service. And while we’ll admit that this is mostly a first-world problem, Sony did confirm that many other streaming apps (e.g., Amazon Prime Video, MyCanal, Hulu, Peacock) are on the way, which makes programmable buttons even more sensible.
Here are the streaming apps that PlayStation 5 will have access to on day one, per Sony:
- Apple TV
- Enjoy Apple TV+, Apple TV channels, new and popular movies, and personalized, curated recommendations on the Apple TV app. That means users can enjoy Apple Originals like Mythic Quest: Raven’s Banquet, Ted Lasso, and The Morning Show through Apple TV+, subscribe to premium channels, and buy or rent movies and TV shows and access past purchases from Apple. The Apple TV app will also be available on PS4.
- The dedicated home for movies, shows, shorts, and originals from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic. From original series like The Mandalorian, to fan favorites like The Simpsons, you can watch your favorite stories right from your PS5 console.
- Catch up on top entertainment hits such as Stranger Things, The Haunting of Bly Manor and more. With thousands of TV episodes and movies in Netflix’s library, there’s plenty to choose from.
- Listen while you play. Just as with PS4, users can play their favorite songs as background music in-game with Spotify. You can choose from more than 60 million songs while you’re battling bosses or roaming through an open-world adventure.
- With a deeply integrated Twitch experience on PS5, you can now watch or livestream your favorite gameplay and chat live about the best moments with fellow gamers throughout the many diverse and dynamic communities.
- Also integrated with PS5, you can broadcast and share your epic gameplay moments directly to your YouTube channel, or sit back and watch new and trending content shared from around the world.
“Users can power on the PS5 console and quickly navigate media with built-in play/pause, fast forward and fast reverse controls,” Rosenberg wrote in regard to the Media Remote. “The remote also lets users adjust volume and power settings on compatible TVs, and also features dedicated launch buttons for the following entertainment apps*, Disney+ Netflix, Spotify and YouTube.”