Razer has unveiled its new HyperPolling Technology, which enables mice with crazy-fast polling rates as high as 8,000 Hz. The first product to boast this level of speed is the company’s new Razer Viper 8KHz, an esports gaming mouse that is said to usher in a new era of responsiveness, speed, and reliability.
“Currently, most top gaming mice support polling rates of up to 1000Hz, and whilst manufacturers have focused on making mice more accurate and responsive, little consideration has been given to the frequency with which click and positional data is transmitted to the PC,” Razer wrote in a press release.
“With faster PCs and higher refresh rate monitors, higher polling rates can eliminate annoying micro-stutters, significantly improving gameplay performance when a fraction of a second can be the difference between winning or losing.”
Razer has shared some infographics to convince gamers that an 8,000 Hz polling rate can make a genuine difference. As the company explains, the Viper 8KHz sends eight times more data each second than traditional, 1,000 Hz gaming mice, reducing input delay from 1 ms to just 1/8th of a millisecond. Additionally, users can enjoy smoother and more up-to-date cursor positions thanks to the quicker polling rate, which lines up better with the higher refresh rates of modern monitors.
“Latency is a very important part of gameplay that significantly affects the overall gaming experience – and yet, it is overlooked by many companies that focused for too long on increasing DPI,” said Alvin Cheung, Senior Vice President of Razer’s peripherals business unit.
“Unlike DPI, lower latency benefits everyone from casual to professional players by shaving off important milliseconds from the overall reaction time. During our testing and development process with a large pool of competitive players and mouse enthusiasts, many reported significantly smoother and more responsive input when using the HyperPolling Technology featured in the new Viper 8KHz esports gaming mouse.”
Razer Viper 8KHz Mouse Overview
- True 8000Hz (0.125ms) polling rate
- True 20,000 DPI Focus+ optical sensor
- Up to 650 inches per second (IPS) / 50 G acceleration / industry best 99.6% resolution accuracy
- 2nd-gen Razer Optical Mouse Switches rated for 70 million clicks
- True ambidextrous design with ultra-durable integrated rubber side grips
- 100% PTFE mouse feet
- Gaming-grade tactile scroll wheel
- On-The-Fly Sensitivity Adjustment (Default stages: 400/800/1600/2400/3200)
- Hybrid Cloud storage and on-board memory (4+1 profiles)
- Razer Chroma RGB lighting with true 16.8 million customizable color options
- 7+1 programmable buttons
- Advanced Lift-off/Landing distance customization
- Razer Synapse 3 enabled
- 8 m / 6 ft Speedflex cable
- 73 mm / 4.99 in (Length) X 57.6 mm / 2.27 in (Width) X 37.81 mm / 1.49 in (Height)
- Approximate weight: 71 g / 2.5 oz (Excluding cable)