As expected, Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios’ latest Spider-Man effort, Spider-Man: No Way Home, has turned out to be a remarkable success for both companies.
According to coverage from entertainment publications such as Deadline, Spider-Man: No Way Home earned $587.2 million globally within its first days of release, a record that only five other films have achieved. It marks Sony Pictures’ biggest opening weekend ever, and what’s particularly impressive is that the record was achieved without the help of China.
“Peter Parker and his friends and foes bolted out of the gate on Wednesday overseas, rolling into a total of 60 markets through Friday,” Deadline reported.
“Ultimately, it blasted past industry projections. Last week, we said a $290M global start was the floor for this much-anticipated film. Given conditions overseas, including curfews that came into play over the weekend and some market closures, it was necessary to be prudent with expectations. A phenomenon like this doesn’t come around often, and less so during these past nearly two years of a pandemic.”
Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige confirmed in a recent interview with The New York Times that Disney and Sony are already “actively beginning to develop” the next Spider-Man films, which will presumably be another trilogy.
“Amy and I and Disney and Sony are talking about — yes, we’re actively beginning to develop where the story heads next,” said Feige, “which I only say outright because I don’t want fans to go through any separation trauma like what happened after ‘Far From Home.’ That will not be occurring this time.”