Rare’s GoldenEye 007 remains one of the most memorable shooters of all time, and according to the latest rumors, an exciting update of the game will soon be making its way to not only Xbox, but Nintendo consoles.
That’s according to VentureBeat’s Jeff Grubb, who claimed in the latest episode of his GrubbSnax show last week that the heavily rumored GoldenEye 007 remaster is gearing up for an official release and should be announced quite soon. The shooter has had a bit of an interesting history due to the IP and how Rare was previously under the house of Nintendo before switching to Microsoft, but the companies have reportedly come to an agreement that will allow GoldenEye 007 to resurface on Xbox and Nintendo consoles as part of a new HD edition.
Adding credibility to the report is an achievement list for GoldenEye 007 that was published by True Achievements last month. According to that list, GoldenEye 007 is set to feature 55 awards for a possible 1,000 GamerScore.
GrubbSnax 33: Nintendo Direct (February 2022) (Giant Bomb)
- The big question, and this one, I think is not too surprising, it didn’t show up [at the Nintendo Direct], but GoldenEye 007. I think that Microsoft is going to be the one to announce that first because GoldenEye 007 is a cooperative agreement between Nintendo, Microsoft, and MGM. Under Microsoft, it’s obviously developer Rare who made the game.
- This was, like, a long-time deal […] where all these companies were working together, and then, they got the game pretty much ready to go for a remaster on [Xbox 360], and then Nintendo kind of pulled the rug out from everyone and said, “Actually, we don’t want this game showing up anywhere but on a Nintendo console.” And so, nothing really happened with it.
- Now it seems like Nintendo and Microsoft are pretty buddy-buddy. They realize they’re not directly competing. They’re finding reasons to put their characters in other games. We got Banjo-Kazooie in Smash obviously. […] We have Rare games in Nintendo Switch Online. And so, I think what we can expect is, as part of getting those Rare games on Nintendo Switch Online, they’ve come to this agreement about GoldenEye. And, I just think that this also means that Microsoft is going to come out and announce it first, coming to Xbox, Game Pass, and then Nintendo will say, “We’ve also got it coming to the Switch.” Or they’ll say it at the same time, it will be a joint announcement. I think this game is still probably coming pretty soon. Next couple of weeks.
GoldenEye 007 Xbox achievements leak points to new port (Eurogamer)
- The achievement list, which was scooped off Microsoft’s servers by True Achievements, includes 55 new awards and 1000 Gamerscore for completing the game’s campaign and playing its various multiplayer modes.
- Achievement artwork even includes screenshots from the classic James Bond shooter.
- While developed by Rare, the messy rights situation surrounding GoldenEye 007 has long held back the game from being officially ported.