AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 2.0 (FSR 2.0) can now be enabled in Dying Light 2: Stay Human courtesy of NexusMods’ mnxn0, who has shared a new mod that adds red team’s temporal-based upscaling solution to Techland’s survival horror sequel. The mod is a fork of the FSR 2.0 mod that PotatoOfDoom1337 shared last week for Cyberpunk 2077 and can easily be installed by downloading the relevant .zip file, running the .reg file within it, and then extracting a .dll to the appropriate Dying Light 2 directory. Users can then activate FSR 2.0 by selecting one of the pre-existing NVIDIA DLSS options (the mod replaces those), which include Quality, Balanced, and Performance. Dying Light 2 received a new update (1.4.0) last month that adds a free chapter called “In the Footsteps of a Nightrunner,” one in which players must help a former Nightrunner named Harper in exchange for access to some “powerful, never-before-seen equipment.”
- Download the latest DL2FSR2.zip file from the files tab.
- Extract the .reg files to anywhere and run EnableSignatureOverride.reg (it may need admin permission).
- Extract nvngx.dll to Dying Light 2\ph\work\bin\x64 so it is next to nvngx_dlss.dll and DyingLightGame_x64_rwdi.exe.
- Make sure that the game has the Renderer Mode set to D3D12 in the Advanced Video Settings.
- Run the game and select one of the now-available DLSS Upscaling options in the Video settings:
- DLSS, quality is FSR 2.0 Quality: Upscale by a factor of 1.5x
- DLSS, balanced is FSR 2.0 Balanced: Upscale by a factor of 1.7x
- DLSS, performance is FSR 2.0 Performance: Upscale by a factor of 2.0x
This mod is based on PotatoOfDoom1337’s very impressive CyberFSR mod (Nexus Mods, GitHub) which implemented FSR 2.0 in Cyberpunk 2077 by replacing DLSS in the game. I made some modifications to CyberFSR to make it work for Dying Light 2 and am now releasing it here with permission from PotatoOfDoom. The source code for my changes is available here.
The pictures show a comparison of different quality levels of FSR 2.0, FSR 1.0 Ultra Quality, and native resolution on my i7 7700k/GTX 1070 computer with the “medium quality” video settings preset at 1080p. The green text is the framerate at the instant I took the screenshot. Be aware that this mod has a few issues like ghosting/smearing, lighter shadows, and lower resolution skybox textures. Hopefully Techland will implement FSR 2.0 directly in the game in the future which could fix some of these problems.