Magnetar Audio has released the UDP800, a new high-end 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player that promises reference image quality, comprehensive HDR support (i.e., HDR10, HDR10, Dolby Vision), 4K upscaling, lossless music support, and other premium features for home theater enthusiasts who remain loyal to physical media.
According to its listing on the Magnetar store, the UDP800 can currently be purchased for €1,332.50 ($1,417.11), a price that dwarfs other premium Blu-ray players on the market, including Panasonic’s DP-UB9000, which retails for $999, according to listings found on popular retailers that include Amazon.
Magnetar UDP800 specifications, as listed on its official website:
- UHD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, AVCHD-SACD, CD, Kodak Picture CD, CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, DVD±R DL, BD-R/RE
- Analog audio: stereo
- Independent stereo analog audio: XLR balanced output, RCA output
- Optical/coaxial audio: up to 2 channels /192kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS
- HDMI audio: up to 7.1 channel /192kHz PCM, up to 5.1 channel DSD, Bitstream
- HDMI video: UHD/p24 1080/1030p / 1030I / 720p / 576p / 576I / 480p / 480I
Analog audio characteristics:
- Frequency range: 20HZ-20khz (-3dB ~ +0.05dB)
- Signal-to-noise ratio: & GT: 120dBr
- Total harmonic distortion + Noise: & LT: 0.00018%
- Output level: (RCA) 2. l±0.2Vrms. (XLR) 4.2±0.4Vrms
- Dynamic range: AGT: 120dB
- Channel separation: & GT: 120dB
- Power supply: AC 100-240V ~, 50/60Hz
- Power: 30 W (Standby: 0.5W in energy saving mode)
- Size: 430 mm x 300 mm x 90 mm
- Weight: 8kg
- Working temperature: 41° F – 95° F 5° C – 35° C
- Working humidity: 15% – 75%
“Equipped with the famous professional quad-core system Media Tek MT8581 chipset, the UDP800 4K UHD Blu-ray player features advanced image decoding and processing technology, with 4K ultra HD and HDR support, including Dolby Vision and HDR10+, providing clear and sharp picture and rich colors,” reads a description for the player, which seemingly began shipping in late November.
“With its metal body while being elegant and durable, the 4K UHD Blu-ray player UDP800 exudes the beauty of science and technology in simplicity and introversion, and makes your audio-video life even better.”
Other selling points of Magnetar’s UDP800 is its premium digital analog converter, which includes Burr-Brown PCM 1795 DAC processors and MUSES8920 OP-AMP for “audiophile sound quality,” as well as a high-power transformer with separate metal case for lower noise levels.
Cheaper 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players that are available on the market today include Sony’s UBP-X700M, which costs $159.99 and is advertised as being able to play almost any disc and file format, with 4K upscaling up to 60p.