Cougar has announced that the Cratus is now available for $499. This is a new premium PC chassis that Cougar has described as being the ultimate housing for a powerhouse rig, featuring innovative features for creating a completely personalized gaming station, including optimal thermal performance, total cooling flexibility, dynamic lighting, and more. The headlining feature of the Cratus appears to be its angled interior layout, which Cougar says is an industry-first, enabling maximum airflow.
Cougar Cratus Specifications
|Case Form Factor||Mid Tower|
|Motherboard Type||Mini ITX / Micro ATX / ATX / CEB / E-ATX|
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||283 x 636 x 635 (mm)|
11.1 x 25 x 25 (in)
|I/O Panel||Type C Gen 2 (Key A 20-pin connector) x 1, USB 3.0 x 4, 4 Pole Headset Audio Jack x1, RGB Button|
|3.5” Drive Bay||2|
|2.5” Drive Bay||3 + 2 (converted from 3.5″ drive bays) / (3 SSD trays included)|
|Expansion Slots||Horizontal: 7 / Vertical: 4 (install with a vertical bracket in the accessory kit)|
|Cooling Fan Support||Front: 120mm x 2 / 140mm x 2|
Top: 120mm x 3 / 140mm x 2
M/B Side: 120mm x 3
Rear: 120mm x 1
|Pre-installed Fans||Front: 120mm ARGB fan x 2|
Rear: 120mm ARGB fan x 1
Speed: 1000 ± 100 RPM
|Connector||5V 3 Pin (ARGB) / 3 Pin (Fan)|
|Maximum Number of Fans||9 Max.|
|Water cooling Suppor||Front: *280mm / 240mm / 140mm / 120mm|
Top: 360mm / 280mm / 240mm / 120mm
M/B Side: 360mm / 240mm / 120mm
|Transparent Panel||Tempered Glass x 4|
|Onboard Lighting System||Yes|
|RGB Sync with M/B||Yes|
|Max. Graphics Card Length||460 (mm)) / 18.1 (in) without fans and radiator at M/B side|
325 (mm) / 12.8 (in) with fans and radiator at M/B side
|Max. CPU Cooler Heigth||190 (mm) / 7.5 (in)|
|Max. PSU Lenght||200 (mm) / 7.9 (in)|
From a Cougar press release:
The Cratus’s precision-tooled steel tube frame provides incredible strength and stability, challenging perceptions of a minimal bezel and exoskeleton. And with its four tempered glass panels (contoured for both aesthetic presentation and structural integrity), rig enthusiasts can turn the ample space within into a dioramic exhibit for their modding skills and creativity, or simply show off their build.
In an industry-first revolutionary innovation, COUGAR has applied the principles of heat convection to engineer optimal thermal performance: an angled interior layout directs a cyclical current of hot air rising and cool air falling to deliver maximum airflow. Plus, extensive support for a myriad of cooling solutions ensures that high-performance components are always protected from overheating.
The Cratus is the apex of COUGAR’s design and engineering: a statement of proof-of-capability. Taking the “C” glyph from its namesake as a point of inspiration, the Cratus integrates functionality with art, complementing form with a dazzling lighting array and removing all barriers to creative expression with ingenious cable management. The Cratus opens a world of custom creation with features including:
- Precision Meets Art
- The Cratus combines precision-tooled steel tubes with contoured, tempered glass in a synthesis of sculpture and zero-deviance craftsmanship. Tinted panels showcase an abundance of space for high-end components and infinite modding options.
- Convection Dynamics
- Inspired by the principles of heat convection, an elevated angle is engineered into the interior layout, delivering superior thermal performance and airflow as well as providing extra space for the PSU.
- Strength and Beauty
- Functionality is seamlessly integrated with aesthetics into the Cratus architecture: sturdy connectors and easy-carry handles blend organically into its structure, offering stability and strength without compromising its striking looks.
- Dynamic Lighting
- A distinctive lightbar accents the uniquely minimal bezel and a dedicated RGB button gives you total control of a dazzling array of lighting effects. The built-in LED controller is compatible with the motherboard’s 5V ARGB connection for system-wide lighting synchronization.
- Limitless Build Capacity
- With excellent support for an E-ATX motherboard, 460mm graphics cards, two 3.5” HDDs and three 2.5” SSDs, the mighty Cratus can house even the most extreme system builds.
- Peak Cable Management
- Making it simple and fast to route cables into an ample 45mm storage space through a hinged cover allows you to show off an unobstructed, clean view of your build.
- Total Cooling. Total Freedom.
- The open-framed design supports up to 360mm water cooling radiators, a 190mm CPU cooler and 9 fans: the ability to optimize your cooling system with unparalleled freedom protects your rig from overheating during even the most intense sessions.