Twisted Metal is a new series based on the popular vehicular combat game franchise that launched on the first PlayStation in 1995. It was originally published by Sony Computer Entertainment and over the years has been developed by multiple companies as it expanded with releases on the PS1/PS2/PS3 and PlayStation Portable. The word first broke in 2021 about a new live-action adaption being in development. There will be ten thirty-minute episodes in the first season.
The new series is starring Anthony Mackie, Stephanie Beatriz, and Thomas Haden Church, with Will Arnet and Samoa Joe voicing Sweet Tooth. Twisted Metal is a comedy-action series that follows the adventures of a “motor-mouthed outsider” trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world. Anthony Mackie and Will Arnet are both starring and among the show’s executive producers. A new teaser trailer and poster has been released announcing the show for its July 27 arrival on the streaming service.
Description and Cast (via Peacock)
“TWISTED METAL, a half-hour live-action TV series based on the classic PlayStation game series, is a high-octane action comedy, based on an original take by Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick and written by Michael Jonathan Smith, about a motor-mouthed outsider offered a chance at a better life, but only if he can successfully deliver a mysterious package across a post-apocalyptic wasteland. With the help of a badass axe-wielding car thief, he’ll face savage marauders driving vehicles of destruction and other dangers of the open road, including a deranged clown who drives an all too familiar ice cream truck.“
- Starring: Anthony Mackie (John Doe), Stephanie Beatriz (Quiet), Thomas Haden Church (Agent Stone), Will Arnett (Sweet Tooth-voice), Samoa Joe (Sweet Tooth-body)
- Guest Stars: Neve Campbell, Richard Cabral, Mike Mitchell, Tahj Vaughans, Lou Beatty Jr.
- Showrunner / Executive Producer / Writer: Michael Jonathan Smith (Cobra Kai)
- Executive Producers: Anthony Mackie (Make It With Gravy Productions) Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick (Deadpool, Zombieland), Will Arnett and Marc Forman (Electric Avenue), Jason Spire (Inspire Entertainment), Peter Principato (Artists First), Asad Qizilbash and Carter Swan from PlayStation Productions and Hermen Hulst, Head of PlayStation Studios
- Director: Kitao Sakurai (multiple episodes)