Blizzard has announced that Story Missions are finally making their debut in Overwatch 2 as part of Invasion, the game’s sixth season, but players will need to pay $15 in order to access the new PvE content that promises “fast-paced, co-op gameplay, as well as story, cinematics, and cutscenes that expand the world of Overwatch.” With Overwatch 2 being a free-to-play game, this development may not be too surprising, but many critics have pointed out that other F2P games have traditionally offered this sort of content for free—an apparent fact that has led others to call Blizzard “scammers,” some of whom are now threatening that they’re going to drop the game completely. Blizzard clarified last month that PvE was still in the works for Overwatch 2 following a confusing stream that suggested the opposite, but at the time, the company didn’t say anything about what has effectively turned out to be a paywall. An Overwatch 2: Ultimate Invasion Bundle that costs $40 will also be available.
Overwatch 2: Invasion Bundle ($15) Contents
- Access to the Overwatch 2: Invasion Story Missions, during the season and permanently after
- 1,000 Overwatch Coins (equal to the Premium Battle Pass, $10 USD value)
- A brand-new Sojourn Legendary skin ($19 USD value)
- Permanent access to Sojourn as a playable hero for new players: unlocked upon completing Story Mission challenges.
Overwatch 2: Ultimate Invasion Bundle ($40) Additions
- The Null Sector Premium Battle Pass with 20 Battle Pass skips ($30 USD value)
- An additional 1,000 Overwatch Coins, for a total of 2,000 Overwatch Coins ($20 USD value)
- Two additional Legendary skins for Cassidy and Kiriko ($38 USD value).
From a Blizzard post:
In Overwatch 2: Invasion, you and your friends can take on three action-packed missions that take place in Rio de Janeiro, Toronto, and Gothenburg—massive maps with complex objectives, and an in-depth storyline that will guide you along the way. You’ll fight against the intensified forces of Null Sector, who will continue to attack until you’ve completely dismantled them. Stay alert for challenging enemies that haven’t been encountered before, such as the powerful Artillery and the deadly Stalkers.
In addition to Story Missions, you’ll be able to take part in a new bonus co-op mission on King’s Row. Explore all-new areas of the King’s Row map as you guide a well-armed TS-1 push bot on a mission to save Iggy and the rest of the Omnic Underworld from Null Sector. You’ll face new objectives, along with new Null Sector enemies that may somehow feel familiar.
Also launching with Overwatch 2: Invasion is Flashpoint: a whole new PVP core game mode available for all players in Quick Play or Competitive Play. This mode will feature two new locales that are Overwatch 2’s biggest PVP maps to date!