The most common criticism of modern AMD processors has been their highest achievable overclock speeds. Intel has managed to dominate in this arena for a very long time. Well, the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X is shaping up to be an overclocking monster. This 16-core/32-thread beast has managed to hit 6.0 GHz in an iMac Pro. Well-known leaker @TUM_APISAK found not one, but two scores on Geekbench showing off the achievement.
He did a quick search on AMD’s Ryzen 9 5950X page and found that the OPN (100-000000059-37_46/35_N) matches that of the 5950X. A closer look into the Geekbench scores also reveals the processor averaging between 5.9 GHz and 6.02 GHz. Such extreme overclocks are rarely obtained without an extreme cooling solution, so it is unlikely this will be a common score for users. These kinds of overclocks are also rarely stable, but they do give some insight into the potential headroom available.
Another iMac Pro Forthcoming?
The other interesting takeaway is that this was done with an iMac Pro. We already know that the new 27-inch iMac Pro features Radeon Pro 5000 Series GPUs paired with a 10th-generation Intel Core i9 processor. Could another variant be coming as Apple continues to migrate away from Intel chips? It was only a few days ago that the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X reigned supreme in new Cinebench R20 single/multi-core tests. Apple has also been working with AMD on other exclusives, so this could be another that is in development. Regardless of this speculation, the new AMD Ryzen 9 5950X will make waves after its launch.
- HDMI 2.1 Receivers Can’t Pass 4K/120 Hz Content from NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs and Xbox Series X Due to Major Chipset Bug
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Specifications Confirmed: 4,864 CUDA Cores, 8 GB of GDDR6 VRAM
- NVIDIA’s New GeForce RTX 30 Series GPU (RTX 3070 Ti?) Is Reportedly a 320-Watt Response to AMD’s Radeon RX 6800 XL
- Viking City Builder Is the First RTS with Ray Tracing and DLSS 2.0
- CORSAIR 4000D Tempered Glass Case Review