Bluepoint Games has risen in prominence over the years thanks to the success of PlayStation remasters such as Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection, and Demon’s Souls, which released last week for the PS5 to critical acclaim.
According to ResetEra’s MarsipanRumpan, Bluepoint has garnered so much good will that Sony has decided to acquire the developer and integrate it into SIE Worldwide (PlayStation) Studios. Here is how the rumored deal would pan out for both parties, per MarsipanRumpan:
From Bluepoint’s angle:
- They want to make sure they get a shot at an original IP, they don’t want to be simply a “remake studio” (Even if they make more remakes)
- While they value and love their independence, they also realize the industry is rapidly growing and evolving. They feel comfortable with their existing partnership with Sony and decided to sell to them.
From Sony’s angle:
- Very impressed with the work-ethic from Bluepoint. Creates groundbreaking remakes, at a good pace.
- They have a good relationship with other SIE studios, particularly Sony Japan Studios that they worked together with during both Shadow of the Colossus and Demon’s Souls. (Ape Escape fans, whatupppp) ((that wasn’t an ape escape remake teaser, literally don’t know anything about what they’re doing after souls))
- The expertise, skill, and tech that Bluepoint has for their remakes can be used for future projects not necessarily made by them. (In other words, if Team Asobi decides to create an Ape Escape Remake, they can go to Bluepoint for help)
The deal is reportedly being finalized, with an announcement to occur before February 28. SIE World Studios currently comprises 14 developers, which include greats such as Santa Monica Studio (God of War) and Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo).
- id Software Working on New VR Game
- AMD Navi 31 GPUs (Radeon RX 7900 XT?) Could Boast Multi-Chip-Module Design with 10,240 Cores and Much Improved Ray Tracing
- No Time to Die, A Quiet Place Part II, and Other Blockbusters Receive New Release Dates
- System Shock Remake Pre-Orders and Final Demo Coming Next Month
- Tencent Buys Majority Stake in Don’t Starve Developer Klei Entertainment