What’s the best video game of 2020? If you were to ask Steam players, it’d probably be Rockstar Games’ Red Dead Redemption 2. The beautiful, open-world cowboy epic managed to defeat heavy hitters such as id Software’s DOOM Eternal and Kojima Productions’ Death Stranding in Valve’s annual game awards contest, which is determined entirely by the votes of the Steam community.
Red Dead Redemption 2 also managed to score a big win in the Outstanding Story-Rich Game category, besting Detroit: Become Human, Mafia: Definitive Edition, Metro Exodus, and Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition. You can check out a full list of the winners below.
The Steam Awards 2020 Winners
- 2020 Game of the Year: Red Dead Redemption 2 (Hades, DOOM Eternal, Fall Guys, Death Stranding)
- VR Game of the Year: Half-Life: Alyx (Phasmophobia, The Room VR: A Dark Matter, Thief Simulator VR, Star Wars Squadrons)
- Labor of Love: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (Among Us, Terraria, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, No Man’s Sky)
- Better With Friends: Fall Guys (Sea of Thieves, Borderlands 3, Deep Rock Galactic, Risk of Rain 2)
- Most Innovative Gameplay: Death Stranding (Control, Superliminal, Noita, Teardown)
- Outstanding Story-Rich Game: Red Dead Redemption 2 (Detroit: Become Human, Mafia Definitive Edition, Metro Exodus, Horizon Zero Dawn)
- Best Game You Suck At: Apex Legends (Crusader Kings 3, Ghostrunner, FIFA 21, GTFO)
- Outstanding Visual Style: Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Battlefield 5, There is No Game, Marvel’s Avengers, Black Mesa)
- Best Soundtrack: DOOM Eternal (Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Helltaker, Need for Speed Heat, Persona 4 Golden)
- Sit Back and Relax: The Sims 4 (Microsoft Flight Simulator, Satisfactory, Untitled Goose Game, Factorio)
- Game of the Year: Red Dead Redemption 2 (Hades, DOOM Eternal, Fall Guys, Death Stranding)
Red Dead Redemption 2 is currently on sale for $40.19 as part of Steam’s ongoing Winter Sale, which ends tomorrow at 10 AM PT (1 AM ET). The action-adventure game serves as a prequel to the 2010 original, which never received a PC release.