Activision has confirmed that this year’s Call of Duty game will be the sequel to Infinity Ward’s critically acclaimed 2019 reboot, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.
The company shared the news as part of a community update posted on the official Call of Duty site, which discusses some of the updates that the Call of Duty team is planning for Modern Warfare’s battle royale component, Warzone. A section regarding the future of the franchise can confirm that both Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and a new Warzone experience is currently in development by Infinity Ward, both of which are powered by an all-new engine.
Previous rumors have suggested that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will feature a campaign that pits U.S. special forces against Colombian drug cartels. The game is expected to release in Fall 2022.
CALL OF DUTY COMMUNITY UPDATE: A WARZONE SPECIAL BRIEFING FOR OUR PLAYERS (Call of Duty)
Lastly, we also wanted to give a peek into what is on the horizon in 2022 for Call of Duty. The team is excited to confirm some additional news below.
Stay frosty, friends.
- This year’s Call of Duty is a sequel to Modern Warfare 2019.
- The new game and a new Warzone experience are designed together from the ground-up.
- Expect a massive evolution of Battle Royale with all-new playspace and a new sandbox mode.
- A new engine powers both the new Call of Duty game release and Warzone.
- Development on both the new Call of Duty and the Warzone experience is being led by Infinity Ward.