Intel has launched its 12th Gen Core HX processors, its most powerful Alder Lake CPUs yet for gaming laptops and mobile workstations. The family comprises seven models and is headlined by the Core i9-12950HX, a flagship 16C/24T chip with eight P-cores, eight E-cores, and maximum turbo frequencies of up to 5.0 GHz. All of these Core HX processors are unlocked out of the box and can be found in various workstation and gaming designs that will be launched by Dell, HP, Lenovo, and others later this year.
Key features of the Core HX lineup, per Intel:
- Up to 16 cores (8 Performance-cores and 8 Efficient-cores) and 24 threads running at a processor base power of 55W.
- Access to x16 PCIe Gen 5.0 via the processor and 4×4 PCIe Gen 4.0 from a dedicated platform controller hub (PCH) for increased bandwidth and faster data transfers.
- An industry-first unlocked and overclockable series of mobile processors.
- Memory support for up to 128GBs of DDR5/LPDDR5 (up to 4800MHz/5200MHz) and DDR4 (up to 3200MHz/LPDDR4 4267MHz) with Error Correcting Code (ECC) capability.
- Designs with Intel Wi-Fi 6/6E (Gig+)2 for improved connectivity and access to the new 6 GHz Spectrum.
“With the new core architecture and higher power limits of 12th Gen Intel Core HX processors, we’re enabling content creators to tackle the most demanding work flows like never before – for example, executing 3D renders in the background while continuing to iterate on other 3D assets in the scene,” said Chris Walker, Intel corporate vice president and general manager of Mobility Client Platforms. “No more waiting around for processor-intensive workloads to finish, you can stay in the flow. Gamers and content creators will also have access to high bandwidth platform technologies like PCIe Gen 5 with RAID support, and support for ECC memory to ensure high levels of system data integrity and reliability.”
Professionals and creators need more processing power and greater platform bandwidth to iterate content faster. This enables businesses and production agencies to better meet milestones and budgets of fast-paced working environments. The 12th Gen Intel Core HX processors enable the best mobile workstation platforms by providing 65 percent more performance in multi-threaded workloads with more cores, more memory and more I/O while utilizing Intel Thread Director technology to leverage high-power Performance-cores and Efficient-cores so pros can create, program, render and work with maximum efficiency in the office, at home or on the go. In addition to being a commercial workhorse, 12th Gen Intel Core HX processors provide a gaming powerhouse platform that will give enthusiast gamers higher frame rates for the games they know and love.