The Recording Academy has confirmed that five new Grammy Awards categories will be awarded at the 2023 Grammys. They include Songwriter of the Year (Non-Classical), Best Alternative Music Performance, and, most excitingly for gamers, Best Score Soundtrack for Video Games, a new and long-overdue category for celebrating the many talented composers in the industry who have helped elevate the gaming experience with rich soundtracks, some of which could easily double as scores for even the priciest Hollywood blockbuster. The Grammy Awards is America’s most prestigious music award ceremony, considered one of the four major annual American entertainment awards alongside the Academy, Emmy, and Tony Awards. This year’s Grammy Awards recognized recordings released between September 1, 2020–September 30, 2021. A potential contender for next year’s show could be the beautiful soundtrack for Horizon Forbidden West, which reunited the original team led by Joris de Man, Niels van der Leest, and The Flight for Guerrilla Games’ sequel.
“We’re so excited to honor these diverse communities of music creators through the newly established awards and amendments, and to continue cultivating an environment that inspires change, progress and collaboration,” Recording Academy CEO Harvey Mason jr. said. “The Academy’s top priority is to effectively represent the music people that we serve, and each year, that entails listening to our members and ensuring our rules and guidelines reflect our ever-evolving industry.”
- Songwriter Of The Year, Non-Classical
- Recognizes the written excellence, profession and art of songwriting honoring the most prolific non-performing and non-producing songwriters for their body of new work released during an eligibility year.
- Best Alternative Music Performance
- A track and single Category that recognizes the best recordings in an alternative performance by a solo artist, collaborating artists, established duo, or established group.
- Best Americana Performance
- A track and single Category that recognizes artistic excellence in an Americana performance by a solo artist, collaborating artists, established duo, or established group.
- Best Score Soundtrack For Video Games And Other Interactive Media
- Recognizes excellence in score soundtrack albums comprised predominately of original scores and created specifically for, or as a companion to, a current video game or other interactive media released within the qualification period.
- Best Spoken Word Poetry Album
- An album Category that recognizes excellence in spoken word albums specific to the performance of poetry with or without music.
Additionally, a new Special Merit Award will be given out for Best Song For Social Change. Other amendments include changes to the GRAMMY Awards entry and voting processes and more.
All new category additions, process amendments, and updates go into effect immediately for the 2023 GRAMMYs.
These changes come through the Recording Academy’s annual process of accepting proposals from the music creators and professionals that make up its membership body, and as part of the organization’s commitment to evolve with the ever-changing musical landscape.
Source: GRAMMY Awards