Apple has announced its new flagship smartphones, the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, and they feature a major design change that may appease users who disliked the way the notch looked in older iPhones.
- iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max replaces the notch with a pill-shaped cutout called the “Dynamic Island,” which can appear to grow and adjust dynamically via software.
- Dynamic Island “blurs the line between hardware and software, fluidly expanding into different shapes to clearly convey important activities like Face ID authentication,” according to Apple.
- Other highlights include the new A16 Bionic chip (“up to 40% faster than the competition”), an always-on display, first-ever 48 MP camera on iPhone, Crash Detection, and Emergency SOS via satellite.
- The iPhone 14 Pro (6.1-inch display) will start at $999, and the iPhone 14 Pro Max (6.7-inch display) starts at $1,099.
- Pre-orders begin Friday, September 9, with availability beginning Friday, September 16.
“Our customers count on their iPhone every day, and with iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, we’re delivering more advancements than any other iPhone. iPhone 14 Pro introduces a camera system that empowers every user — from the casual user to the professional — to take their best photos and video, and innovative new technologies like the Always-On display and the Dynamic Island, which offers new interactions for notifications and activities,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “Groundbreaking safety capabilities bring users even more security, offering help when they need it most. And with the incredibly powerful and efficient A16 Bionic chip and all-day battery life, this is the best iPhone yet.”
From the Apple Newsroom:
Apple today announced iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, the most advanced Pro lineup ever, featuring the Dynamic Island — a new design that introduces an intuitive way to experience iPhone — and the Always-On display. Powered by A16 Bionic, the fastest chip ever in a smartphone, iPhone 14 Pro introduces a new class of pro camera system, with the first-ever 48MP Main camera on iPhone featuring a quad-pixel sensor, and Photonic Engine, an enhanced image pipeline that dramatically improves low-light photos. These groundbreaking advancements make iPhone even more indispensable for everyday tasks, creative projects, and now even emergency situations with features such as Emergency SOS via satellite and Crash Detection. iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max will be available in four gorgeous new finishes: deep purple, silver, gold, and space black. Pre-orders begin Friday, September 9, with availability beginning Friday, September 16.