NVIDIA has announced Portal with RTX and NVIDIA Racer RTX, two new titles that were designed to showcase the power and performance of the company’s new GeForce RTX 40 Series graphics cards. The first is an updated version of Valve’s 2007 classic that now features full ray tracing, complemented by NVIDIA DLSS and NVIDIA Reflex technologies, while the latter is a tech demonstration that features “the most detailed graphics seen to date.” NVIDIA Racer RTX will be available as a free download this November, while Portal with RTX will be free for existing Portal owners beginning that same month.
Portal with RTX
- Reimagines the classic game’s graphics with full ray tracing
- Hand-crafted hi-res physically based textures
- Enhanced high-poly models evocative of the originals
- Every light is ray-traced and casts shadows
- Global illumination indirect lighting naturally illuminates and darkens rooms
- Volumetric ray-traced lighting scatters through fog and smoke, shadows are pixel perfect
- Made with NVIDIA RTX Remix, a new tool that will also be available for free
Portal with RTX is a free DLC for all Portal owners developed by NVIDIA Lightspeed Studios. Experience the critically acclaimed and award-winning Portal reimagined with ray tracing. Every frame of gameplay is upgraded with stunning full ray tracing, new, hand-crafted hi-res physically based textures, and new, enhanced high-poly models evocative of the originals, all in stunning 4K. In Portal with RTX, full ray tracing transforms each level, enabling light to bounce and be affected by the scene’s geometry and materials. Every light is ray-traced and casts shadows, global illumination indirect lighting naturally illuminates and darkens rooms, volumetric ray-traced lighting scatters through fog and smoke, and shadows are pixel perfect. Portal with RTX is compatible with all ray-tracing capable GPUs.
NVIDIA Racer RTX
- Take control of realistically rendered and physics-accurate RC cars
- Four unique sand-box style environments, filled with photo-real objects
- Each environment rendered exclusively with full ray tracing, running at 60 FPS at 4K
- Most accurate representation of reality ever simulated in real time on a PC
- Will be available for download and play in November
Each environment is rendered exclusively with full ray tracing, running at 60 FPS at 4K thanks to the power of GeForce RTX 40 Series graphics cards and NVIDIA DLSS 3’s game-changing Optical Multi Frame Generation technology. NVIDIA RTX Direct Illumination (RTXDI), NVIDIA Reservoir Spatio Temporal Importance Resampling Global Illumination (ReSTIR GI), multiple light bounces, and high ray counts create worlds with the most accurate shadows and realistic lighting ever seen in a real-time game. And in an instant, the time of day can be changed, updating world lighting accordingly, and switching-on lamps and other artificial light sources at night, transforming the scene.
The GeForce RTX 4090 will be available beginning October 12, 2022, starting at $1,599, while the GeForce RTX 4080 16/12 GB models will be available starting at $1,199/$899 in November. These graphics cards are up to 4X faster than the previous generation, according to NVIDIA.