Blizzard Entertainment has launched World of Warcraft: Dragonflight, the ninth expansion to its long-running massively multiplayer online role-playing game that calls players back to Azeroth to discover the new Dragon Isles continent atop a customizable drake with Dragonriding, wield the elemental energies of the dragon aspects as the new dracthyr Evoker race/class combination, and explore substantial updates to fundamental systems, including a new talent system, customizable user-interface options, and enhanced in-game professions:
- The new Dragon Isles continent is comprised of five vibrant zones, which are some of the largest by area in the history of WoW: the Forbidden Reach, the new starting zone for the dracthyr race; the primordial Waking Shores, an untamed land brimming with elemental energies; the windswept Ohn’ahran Plains, home to proud centaur clans; the expansive Azure Span, where tuskarr fish amidst arcane ruins; and gleaming Thaldrazsus, the seat of power for the dragon aspects and home of the dragon capital city Valdrakken.
- Dragonflight introduces the first ever race/class combo for World of Warcraft, the dracthyr Evoker. Featuring an abundance of character customization options and starting out at level 58, dracthyr Evokers are the first ranged damage class to be added to World of Warcraft since the game’s launch 18 years ago. Players can channel the magics of the dragon flights, maneuvering across battlefields as they heal their allies or damage their foes while utilizing all-new Empowered spellcasting.
- Take flight early on in Dragonflight with Dragonriding, an all-new and exhilarating means of aerial exploration, where adventurers can dive down from height on ridable Dragon Isles Drakes to gain speed before pulling up on the reigns to glide and swoop on built momentum. Besides competing in timed trials and multiplayers races, players can collect a bevy of account-wide appearance customizations and skill upgrades for four earnable drakes throughout the Dragon Isles on their journey to the new level cap of 70.
“Dragonflight goes to the heart of what players have always loved about World of Warcraft—exploration, customization, and the feeling of wonder as the world and its stories unfold,” said Mike Ybarra, president of Blizzard Entertainment. “The updates to core systems, such as the new talent trees, build on the legacy of WoW for players of all types, allowing old friends and new to enjoy everything Azeroth has to offer for years to come.”
Blizzard on the core systems for Dragonflight, which will be updated in a phased approach throughout the expansion:
- An All-New Talent Tree System offers unprecedented control over gameplay, more impactful choices at every level, and new ability combinations. Starter talent builds are available to help new or returning adventurers, and talent builds can be saved, swapped, and shared with friends.
- The Redesigned Heads-Up Display (HUD) and User Interface looks great on modern displays and surfaces important gameplay info more effectively. The HUD UI is now easily customizable for all types of players with the addition of edit mode and allows for easily sharing loadouts.
- Enhanced Professions, now a pillar of gear acquisition, allow for living the fantasy of a master crafter or gatherer and building a clientele through new player-driven work orders, unlockable specializations, and the addition of a quality system for crafting and gathering.
Dragonflight is available digitally in three editions, starting at $49.99:
- Base edition ($49.99 SRP)
- Heroic edition ($69.99 SRP) that includes the new Murkastrasza pet, a Dragonflight-level character boost (level 60), and a new Tangled Dreamweaver flying mount
- Epic edition ($89.99) that includes all Heroic edition items plus the Timewalker’s Hearthstone effect, the Diadem of the Spell-keeper head-slot transmog, the Wings of Awakening back-slot transmog in five color variants, and 30 days of game time
A special 12-month subscription offer is currently available ($155.88 SRP, equivalent to $12.99 a month) which comes with the Nether-Gorged Greatwyrm flying mount and the Tabard of the Flame in WoW Classic from the current 6-month subscription offer plus the Telix the Stormhorn flying mount, the Gargantuan Grrloc ground mount, the Festering Emerald Drake mount in WoW Classic, and all to-be-announced items included with our upcoming 2023 6-month subscription offer—to be revealed in January.
Blizzard shared eight 4K wallpapers for World of Warcraft: Dragonflight in its announcement today, which also includes what appears to be the expansion’s entire soundtrack.