PlayStation has announced that its DualSense Edge wireless controller for PS5 (and PC) is now available for purchase worldwide. Described by some as a direct answer to Microsoft’s premium Xbox controllers (e.g., the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2), the DualSense Edge features a range of improvements over the standard DualSense controller, including rear triggers, swappable stick modules, and remappable buttons. Users can currently find the DualSense Edge at retailers that include Sony’s own PlayStation Direct, where it’s listed for $199.99.
DualSense Edge Wireless Controller Features
- Ultra-customizable controls: You can make the DualSense Edge wireless controller uniquely yours by remapping or deactivating specific button inputs and fine-tuning your aim by adjusting stick sensitivity and dead zones (the distance your analog stick moves before it’s recognized in a game). In addition, each trigger is adjustable with options to tailor travel distance and dead zones to your preference. For example, you can manually reduce travel distance of the triggers for faster inputs in competitive FPS games or reduce the dead zone for precise throttle control in racing games.
- Ability to save multiple control profiles: Once you’ve found your ideal control settings, you can save them to unique profiles and swap between them on the fly. With the DualSense Edge wireless controller, you’ll always have your preferred controls for your games ready to go, whether you’re facing Norse gods and monsters in God of War Ragnarök, or rival players in an online battle royale.
- On-controller user interface: The dedicated Fn button allows you to easily adjust your setup while staying focused on the in-game action – quickly swap between your pre-set control profiles, adjust game volume and chat balance, and access the controller profile settings menu to set up and test new control iterations while in game.
- Changeable stick caps and back buttons: Three types of swappable stick caps (standard, high dome, and low dome) help you stay comfortable in game while maintaining grip and stability. The two swappable sets of back buttons (half-dome and lever) can be configured to be any other button input, putting more essential controls at your fingertips.
- Replaceable stick modules: Play longer with the ability to fully replace each individual stick module on the controller (replacement stick modules will be sold separately).
- Built-in DualSense wireless controller features: The DualSense Edge wireless controller retains the signature comfort and immersive experience of the DualSense wireless controller when playing supported games, including haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, built-in microphone, motion controls, and more.
From a PlayStation.blog post:
Built from the ground up for PS5, the DualSense Edge controller has many customization options available, including swappable stick caps and back buttons, L2/R2 stop sliders, button remapping, the ability to fine-tune stick sensitivity, stick dead zones, and trigger dead zones, and an on-controller user interface to seamlessly create and swap between custom profiles.
When designing the controller, our team at PlayStation gathered insights from professional gamers and esports players to ensure the DualSense Edge controller is competition ready, incorporating features like a 2.8M (9.1FT) USB braided cable and connector housing that locks the cable to the controller, and a carrying case to store the controller and its components. Players can even charge their controller via USB connection while it’s stored in the carrying case.