PlayStation has begun rolling out its latest beta for PS5, ushering in a welcome feature for those with larger game libraries: support for larger-capacity M.2 SSDs. “You can now use an M.2 SSD with a maximum capacity of 8 TB (up from the previous 4 TB limit) to expand storage space on your PS5 console,” Hideaki Nishino, Senior Vice President, Platform Experience, SIE, confirmed at the end of today’s writeup about the new PS5 beta, which also introduces new audio options, social features, UI enhancements, and more. This beta is currently limited to invited participants in select countries, but PlayStation is planning to release the update globally later this year.
PS5 Beta Key Features
- Use a Second Controller for Assistance: Assign a second controller as an assist controller to operate the PS5 collaboratively or help others navigate challenging game sections.
- System UI Haptic Feedback: Turn on haptic feedback while navigating the PS5 for enhanced immersion and accessibility for players with sight or hearing disabilities.
- Support for Dolby Atmos-enabled Audio Devices: Experience 3D Audio through compatible Dolby Atmos-enabled HDMI devices for greater audio immersion in PS5 games.
- Social Feature Enhancements:
- Party UI Update: Invite players to closed parties without automatically adding them to the group or create new groups. Send open or closed party invitations to groups.
- Share Screen Preview: See a preview image of a friend’s Share Screen in a party before joining.
- Join Friends’ Game Sessions Easily: Easily see which friends are in joinable game activities under the [Friends] tab.
- Game Hub Tournaments Tile: View entered tournaments and upcoming ones in the game hub.
- React to Messages with Emojis: Add emoji reactions to messages for quicker communication with friends.
- Ease-of-Use Features:
- Search for Games in Library: Conveniently search for games within your game library.
- Game Help Improvements: Enhanced Game Help cards with more details and objective information.
- Discover New Features: Find useful tips and learn about new PS5 features in the Discover Tips section.
- Mute PS5 Beep Sound: Mute or adjust the volume of the PS5’s beep sound during power on/off or rest mode.
- Support for Larger-Capacity M.2 SSDs: The PS5 now supports M.2 SSDs up to 8TB for expanded storage space (must meet specific requirements).
Today, we’re thrilled to roll out a new PS5 system software beta that introduces new accessibility features as well as audio options that allow 3D Audio powered by Tempest 3D AudioTech to be enjoyed on compatible Dolby Atmos-enabled HDMI devices such as sound bars, TVs, or home theater systems. The beta also includes more options to quickly find games and console tips, new ways to connect with other players and customize your multiplayer sessions, and support for larger-capacity M.2 SSDs (up to 8TB).
While beta access will be limited to invited participants in select countries, we plan to release the update globally later this year. If you’re selected to participate in the beta, you’ll receive an email invitation today when it’s available to download. Some features available during the beta phase may not make it into the final version or may see significant changes.