Square Enix has announced that FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH will be released exclusively for the PlayStation 5 on February 29, 2024. According to a roundtable interview with Producer Yoshinori Kitase, Creative Director Tetsuya Nomura, Director Naoki Hamaguchi, and Music Supervisor Keiji Kawamoria that was published shortly after the release of a brand-new trailer, players can expect to see a number of improvements over FFVII Remake with this second chapter, including an “exploration-focused game design,” a “vast and expansive” world map, and the return of all original party members, including Cait Sith, who can be seen in the trailer conversing with Cloud. Nomura, who had a major role in creating the original, also confirmed that players would be able to control Sephiroth at some point, just like in the original 1997 game.
FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH Physical and Digital Contents
- Physical – across two game discs; includes a reversible cover, and the preorder incentive of the digital Midgar Bangle Mk. II armor at participating retailers
- Standard Edition ($69.99)
- Deluxe Edition ($99.99) – Includes Mini-soundtrack CD, artbook and steelbook case
- Collector’s Edition ($349.99) – Includes large, highly detailed collectible statue of Sephiroth, Deluxe Edition contents, along with digital DLC items including Summoning Materia DLC, allowing players to summon the Moogle Trio, and the Magic Pot, along with equipment, like the Reclaimant Choker accessory and the Orchid Bracelet armor. The Collector’s Edition will be available to pre-order in limited quantities from the Square Enix Store.
- Digital – includes the Moogle Trio Summoning Materia DLC
- Standard Edition ($69.99)
- Digital Deluxe Edition ($89.99) – Includes digital Mini-soundtrack, digital artbook, and digital DLC items including the Magic Pot Summoning Materia, Reclaimant Choker accessory and the Orchid Bracelet armor
- Digital Deluxe Edition Upgrade ($20) – Can be purchased to upgrade previously purchased Standard Edition, adding Digital Deluxe Edition contents
- FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE & REBIRTH Twin Pack ($99.99) – Offering great value during the pre-order phase, the Twin Pack includes FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH, available at launch, and the full game download of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE which will be available to play as soon as the Twin Pack is pre-ordered.
- FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH Digital Deluxe Twin Pack ($119.99) – Includes FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE full game download plus all Digital Deluxe Edition contents
Comments from Yoshinori Kitase, Producer
FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH has been set for release on February 29, 2024. This second installment of the FINAL FANTASY VII remake project will feature elements from the previous game, as well as greatly enhanced features such as the vast world map to explore and synergy abilities with party members. The story will unfold more dramatically than ever before, with a rapid pace of major twists and turns. We know fans are dying to see one scene in particular…
FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH can be enjoyed on its own as a standalone adventure, with the party leaving Midgar to explore the wide world beyond. But for those wishing to deepen their understanding of the story, a recap of the previous game will also be provided. We hope that both fans and those who have never played FINAL FANTASY before will enjoy this game.
Comments from Naoki Hamaguchi, Director
We are finally able to announce the release date to all of you! We have been working tirelessly on FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH since the release of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, and we can’t wait for you to experience our labor of love. In this title, Cloud and his friends, who have fled Midgar, will be setting out on an adventure across an expansive world of untold adventure in pursuit of Sephiroth, the legendary SOLDIER. While the main storyline is bigger and more ambitious than the previous game’s narrative, FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH also embraces the concept of “free exploration,” with compelling stories, fun mini-games, powerful monsters and so much more to find throughout the world map. We hope you will explore this world in great detail, as nearly 100 hours of adventure await. We hope you will take this new FINAL FANTASY game experience in your own hands to enjoy.
Comments from Tetsuya Nomura, Creative Director
This is the second title of a trilogy, and covers between the start of the journey outside Midgar to the midpoint of the original FINAL FANTASY VII. If FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE was an introduction to the world and a preparation for this journey, FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH serves as an illustration of the incidents that started the journey, an exploration of the people tied to it, and the journey itself, heading toward its climax. Many elements were carefully selected for this title and because this is a series, we have the unique opportunity to review and incorporate feedback from the previous title, such as by increasing the number of characters. I am sure that the bar for the next work will be raised even higher now that we have included so many spectacular elements in this work, but even so, the entire team continues to work diligently and without compromise on its development.
There is also the looming question of what fate awaits. Whether you have experienced the original title or will embark on this adventure with fresh eyes, we hope you will face the ending of this work on your own terms.